Tuesday, June 21, 2011

In God's House There are Many Rooms

Sunday was Father’s Day.

At St. Andrew we invite all the men of the congregation forward to be blessed, not just fathers.  Why?  Because many men function in the role of “father” to people other than their own children, or even when they have no children of their own.

Often when I think about Father’s Day, I think about the scripture, “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.”  John 14:1-3

For me, this verse epitomizes how we are supposed to trust in God that He, as our Father, will provide us with a home; a place of shelter, love, and family.  In the same way, our fathers on earth are charged with the task of providing a home for their children; a place of shelter, love and family.  Sometimes our biological fathers are not able to fulfill that role and other men (and sometimes women) step in and make sure that we find ourselves in a home, a place of shelter, love and family.  

Imagine our lives without these fathers and father figures. 

Unfortunately there are many children in the world without a father, father figure, or home.  May they take comfort in this Bible passage from John to know that there is one father above all others who will never fail them and who has prepared a place for them where they will find shelter, love and family.

Today I was waiting for a guest to arrive at Newark Airport.  As I waited for her arrival, I was watching all the people coming and going through the security gate.  I was amazed at the variety of people… people of all races and nationalities, ages and occupations… all going through the same gate to sit together on an airplane, just as we will all go through one door into that home God has prepared for ALL of us.  What an amazing assortment of humanity!  God does love to use a broad palette in his handiwork!

In God’s house there are many rooms… and we will ALL have a place there, even if we did not have one here.  Amen.

Did you grow up with a father figure that provided a home for you?  Maybe you are a man who has helped to provide a home for a child, or has acted as a father figure to a child who has none.  God bless our fathers and the men who father us.  May you continue to seek the wonderful role model that God sets before you….for in you, the children of the world will find shelter, love, and family.

Join us for worship this summer at 9:30 am each Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment