Friday, January 28, 2011

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Distressed? “Be Still and Know That I am God”

There are times when the cares of the world just weigh so heavily on our shoulders that it seems there is no light at the end of the tunnel. It’s easy to fall into a rut where you look around and only see the gloom of the various stresses in your life. These days it seems there is no shortage of things to stress us. I was going to name a few but the list could go on and on and it started to look depressing. It’s a good thing there is a delete button.

As I was outside today, I was in one of those stressed out, depressed, blue, overcast, more snow (ugh) funks when I suddenly was assailed by the passage from Psalm 46:10. “Be still and know that I am God.”

Assailed. Yes, I mean assailed: defined as physically or emotionally attacked.

This phrase was stuck in my brain. Over and over and over I could hear it in my head.

I could see it in my head, too. You know those movie clips when words on a page appear on the screen. My head was seeing this phrase on a Bible page, although I couldn’t, at that moment, remember exactly where it was from. (I had to come in and look it up.)

I had to close my eyes and take a deep breath because that phrase was all I could see or hear. After a moment or so of just being still and breathing in the cool air, I looked around and snow flurries were coming down again. I took a deep breath and repeated the phrase again, “Be still and know that I am God.”

I know that the Holy Spirit is active in my life. There have been too many times when something is too much of a coincidence for it not to be God, the Holy Spirit, moving in my life in ways to either make me see that He is with me or to show me another option to the path I was planning to choose. I actively watch and listen for signs of God in my life. Sometimes I get them.

I think today was one of those times. I needed those words.

I needed to be reminded that no matter how stressed I am, God is with me. He keeps his promises. No matter how dark things seem to be, He knows how dark and empty things can ultimately be. He died on a cross, for me, and for you. He died so that our dark days will be but brief moments until He can shine His light in the stillness and we can see an eternity without the shadows.

“Be still and know that I am God.” Psalm 46:10

No comments:

Post a Comment