Friday, May 13, 2011

Unknowingly Walking with Jesus

I love the Gospel story from this past Sunday.   Luke 24: 13-35

Two disciples are walking on the road to Emmaus, leaving Jerusalem after all that had happened since the Passover.  How incredulous!  Mary and the other women had reported back to the disciples that Jesus was alive and yet they are leaving Jerusalem, refusing to believe these women disciples!

But the story gets better.  Jesus comes upon these disciples and walks and talks with them, but their eyes are not opened to know him.  Jesus purposely does not reveal Himself to the disciples but instead allows them to confess their unbelief by telling Him of all that had happened but how they did not understand that Jesus had conquered death.

After arriving at the disciples’ destination, Jesus joins them in a meal where he blesses the bread, breaks it, and shares it with them.  It is at THIS point, in the breaking of the bread,  that their eyes are opened and Jesus is revealed to them.  Jesus then vanishes from their midst.

Now they recognize how their “hearts burned within” them while He walked and talked with them.

Now, when it is getting dark, the disciples run the seven miles back to Jerusalem to tell the other disciples that it is indeed true, what the women have told them.

“Oh foolish men and slow of heart to believe…” Luke 24:25

So often I am also like these disciples, the path I follow taking me away from where I probably should be going. 

How often my heart aches over something I read or see? Yet, do I look there for Jesus?

In so many ways we often flounder around seeking what is right there before us. If we would only open our eyes.

I love this story because it comforts me to know that even when I am blind to Jesus, He is still there walking right beside me.

Jesus does not withhold His love for me because I’m caught up in the trappings of my own little world.

He is revealed to me every Sunday, in Holy Communion.  "Do this in remembrance of me."

Join us for worship every Sunday.
Memorial Day through Labor Day, ONE service @ 9:30 am
September - May, 8:30 & 10:45 am
www.elcaAndy.org
 

No comments:

Post a Comment