Thursday, June 9, 2011

Taking Comfort in the Midst of the Lightning

Tonight as I write this there is a severe thunder and lightning storm going on outside. 

I am safe inside and I am not afraid, probably foolishly so.  Any one of the 10 oak trees on my small property could drop a large branch or come crashing down.

But yet, I am not afraid because a lifetime experiencing storms like this has shown that I can find a safe place where I need not fear the extreme elements; and I have access to scientific information that will explain what this incredible noise and light show is made of and why it happens. 

I am not afraid because I have faith in the constructs of my world, simple though they may be, that protect me from the damage these elements can cause… my home, the power company, emergency personnel and first responders, etc.

I am not afraid because I trust that God will be by my side and protect me and my family.

And yet, I think about how our dog in the other room is tucked under my son’s arm, shaking in fear.  She does not understand the science or that our house will protect her.  Yet she seeks comfort and safety in the one place she knows she is safe.  Her boy.

I think about our children, when they ask in fear, “what is that noise, Mommy?”  and we answer… “The angels are bowling.”  They can not understand what science has told us, so we offer something they might be able to understand, and they trust us to protect them and seek comfort in our arms.

I think about how vulnerable we are, even with all our technologically superior camping gear, should a storm like this crop up while we are camping.  Where would we seek shelter?  The meager protection of our nylon tent?  A trail side lean-to?  A cave perhaps?  Where would our comfort come from then?  I’d bet we’d be praying to our God for protection in addition to flipping through that Wilderness Survival Guide.

And what about earlier peoples in times before our scientific research led to quantifiable answers?  What did Noah think of this type of storm as the rain began to pour down from the heavens?  What about the Israelites wandering 40 years in the desert?  How many storms did they see across the open expanses of sand and scrub, watching it approach closer and closer, praying for it to pass and spare them?

God has given us the gift of science to help understand our world around us, to help us put in place the protections that will help to keep us safe from the extremes of nature.  But in the process, do we rely falsely upon these constructs so much that we no longer turn to the One who can guarantee our safety?  Do we forget to be in awe of the incredible power of the One who created that lightning and thunder?

It has been a wild year, no …make that a wild few years, in the realm of natural disasters and wild weather for this country and for others around the globe.  Our science and prediction devices can only protect us so much.

We must rely on the One who has the only true power to save us.  We must trust, like children, in the protective love of our Father.

“But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you.” Psalm 5:11

Join us for worship on Sundays at 9:30 am

What frightens you?  Where do you find comfort from your fears?

No comments:

Post a Comment