Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Blinded by the Sun (Son?)

Have you ever been blinded for a short period of time?


Today is another sunny day with blue skies and snow covered ground in Parsippany. After being outside for a while, I entered the house and was blind…blinded by the sun and the snow. I really couldn’t see anything. It only took a moment or so for my eyes to re-adjust to the darker interior, but it got me to thinking about Saul’s conversion on the road to Damascus.

I’m pretty lucky. I live in a country with the most advanced medical care and treatment facilities. I have access to the best doctors in the world. I have health insurance, though not vision coverage (but I could if I opted to pay for it). I turn on my tap and can drink water safely without wondering about the bacteria that might make me sick or rob my sight.

In this day of medical miracles it seems like blindness is a much rarer condition than in biblical times, at least in America, and especially among young people.

I know there are African and South American countries today where River Blindness, or onchocerciasis, is caused by a parasite transmitted by the blackfly. Programs of medical treatment of whole communities can prevent this blindness and the spread of parasites. According to the World Health Organization, 270,000 people are blind due to this parasite and 18 million people are affected with the disease worldwide. (World Health Organization, http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/diseases/oncho/en/) I’m proud to say my husband’s company donates the medicine for prevention and treatment of this disease in humans.

In the United States, the primary causes of blindness are glaucoma and cataracts, mostly affecting the population over 50. But amazingly approximately 1 in 10,000 babies born in the United States will be born with glaucoma as well. (Glaucoma Research Foundation) (http://www.glaucoma.org/learn/glaucoma_facts.php)

Blindness was not uncommon in Jesus’ day. There are 91 citations of blindness in the Bible, 54 are in the New Testament, 46 of which are in the four Gospels.

On Saul’s journey to Damascus he is blinded by a bright flash of light. (Acts 9) In his blindness he is dependant upon the kindness of others to lead him to Damascus, house him, and reveal the Lord’s plan for him. In this revelation, Saul is changed and his sight is restored. He now sees the world differently because he has come to know Jesus. Saul has done a 180 degree about face. His name is now Paul. Because of his new insight, Paul sets off to tell the world of the Gentiles about the Good News of Jesus. We might not know of Jesus today if not for Paul.

How often are we blinded to our calling by the trappings of our daily lives? How ironic that in order to see clearly, Saul had to be made blind!

What is it that blinds you to your calling? What can you do to regain your insight?

http://www.elcaandy.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment