Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter - Be Not Afraid!

Jesus Christ is Risen Today…Alleluia!

All during Lent we have spent time in self-reflection, trying to look at ourselves as God might, trying to change our lives and our hearts and our thinking to reflect the commandment of Jesus to “love one another as I have loved you.”

The last few days have been emotion filled as our collective guilt roared to a crescendo and we cried on Good Friday, “Crucify Him!  Crucify Him!”

As we left church on Friday, we shared in the darkness of the world, a world without Jesus.  We are left bereft of the Light of the World, feeling alone, guilty, and maybe a bit scared. 

Did you feel empty on Saturday?  Did you feel a little like you were in limbo?  What are you supposed to be feeling about where Jesus is right now…dead in a tomb, wrestling for victory on our behalf?

But we are also gifted with the knowledge and hope of the Resurrection!  Imagine the fear and the despair of those who believed Jesus to be the Messiah to see Him dead on the cross and laid in the tomb.  The doubt that must have assailed them, “Could we have been wrong?  How could this be?”

It is no surprise therefore that the first words of the angels in the garden near the tomb are “Do not be afraid!”  Or that the risen Jesus first greets Mary Magdalene and the other women with “Do not be afraid!”  Or that His first words to His discples upon meeting them after His Resurrection is "Do not be afraid!"

For all my soul searching during Lent I still fear that I will come up short (or fall down short) in the eyes of God.  How can I possibly be good enough?  How can I withstand the temptations of the world?  What will happen if I fail to resist those temptations?  What if…?  How?

For all my life-long relationship with God and the church THESE doubts still sometimes creep into my mind and my heart.   Martin Luther’s Small Catechism is full of answers to these doubts.  The New Testament is full of answers to these doubts. 

But the biggest piece of evidence to answer my doubts lies in the Resurrection of Jesus Christ , which we  celebrate today… Easter Sunday.  Jesus rises from the grave and speaks, not only to Mary and the other disciples, He speaks to me, and to you…. “Be not afraid!”  Love has conquered all.

God knows we can not be perfect, or sinless.  He knows we will fail.  He knows we will reject Him; and yet, He suffered unimaginable pain and loss through His death on the cross because He loves us.  He took the fear and the pain upon Himself and turns to us to say, “Don’t be afraid.  I’ve gone ahead of you and won the victory over death.  I’ve been through it all.  I know what you are going through and I will see you through it, if you but trust and believe in me.”

On this Easter Resurrection Sunday we are given the gift of a life free from fear, if we are willing to grasp it.   Christ is Risen, Alleluia!

Every Sunday is a little Easter celebration.  Don’t miss the opportunity to be refreshed anew after being beaten down each week.   Come celebrate the Resurrection every Sunday and join the disciples as they conquer their fear and stride forth into the world to tell the Good News of Jesus Christ.

Alleluia!  Alleluia!

Join us for worship - Sundays at 8:30 & 10:45 am
www.elcaAndy.org

No comments:

Post a Comment